Wednesday 9 December 2015

The Grinch Does Christmas


Afternoon all, sorry for the two post day, it's boom and bust round here at the moment.
And as most of you probably know, I'm not really one for the traditional Xmas stuff, Que grumpy old man syndrome ;)
I have decided to go against my baser instincts and give into a little bit of Xmas.


I started with three plain white baubles that I picked up at B&Q.
I have used Decoart Media Fluids and products to decorate my baubles.
This one was given 3 or 4 coats of Quinacridone Magenta to get a nice rich colour built up.
A Heavy dry brushing with Prussian Blue Hue brought out all the edges.
I finished off with a couple of coats of Satin Varnish.



This Baubles was done with the Media Misters. I started the Baubles spinning slowly on its string and built up the layers by lightly misting the spinning ball from all directions. Just make sure you . I mainly used Yellow, Red and Orange with a little black thrown in.
I sprayed each colour whilst the previous colour was still wet, this layering of colours gives a really nice blending effect and I built up enough colour to get the misters to run. Constantly spinning the bauble and giving it a blast with the heat gun to set the paint before repeating the process till I got the effect I liked.
I used the Decoart Triple Thick aerosol spray to finish the Bauble, the triple thick gives an almost laqured finish and a high gloss that makes the colours come alive.



My final Bauble was first painted black.
The ridges were swiped with some Versa Mark ink and some Stampendous Stamp n Bond was applied so I could add some Gold Leaf. The stamp n bond is like an embossing powder but acts like a glue for things like gold leaf.
A generous coat of Decoart Crackle Glaze was added, this was tricky as it wanted to run of so I had to keep turning the bauble and spinning it. Whilst the Crackle Glaze was still wet I added droplets of Decoart Interference paints. you will see the paint disperse into really cool patterns and they meld around each other. over the black back ground you can really see the colours in the interference paints pop and it leaves a nice effect as it plays in the light.
All the strings were replaced with thin black leather cords.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing my little Xmas cheer ;)

Simon says stamp are having a Christmas challenge this week.  



7 comments:

  1. I am so lucky to be alive at this time when people are able to share their amazing creations! Again, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These balls are looking better now for sure. I like the last one best, the interference paint looks great on this one. But I will stick to my simple silver balls if you don't mind! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Mark, it is hard to imagine now that these were plain white - you have transformed them beautifully! I was not aware of the Triple Thick spray - got to get some now... The finish on the third bauble is superb! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fabulous altered ornaments! The colors are stunning and with so many unique techniques. Thank you for using Stampendous in your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these ornaments. Very pretty. I colored mine too last week, I used alcohol inks. So fun, but so messy! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete