Tuesday 23 July 2013

Octopode Factory - Be Inspired By The Written Word

 Hi all, hows things? I would like to say a big welcome to my newest followers and a big thank you for those who are coming back ;) x
 We are starting our new challenge over at The Octopode Factory and the new challenge theme is Be Inspired By The Written Word, pretty easy right?
 I have been inspired by the classic Gothic/Horror writer/Poet Edgar Allen Poe.
 I have made another journal page in my Dyan Reaveley Journal (totally loving it)
The back ground has been crated by first painting the back ground with some light grey Decoart american acrylic paint, I then used some weathered wood crackle, also from Decoart and when dry added a layer of Crocco Crackle glze in purple, I then used Andy Skinners Skull Mask made by Tando-Creative in the top corner.
Ok I did not like how this looked so covered it all in Antique White from Decoart, I then added a wash of Quin Gold to give an aged effect.
I then swiped over the texture with some Distress inks in vintage photo and walnut stain, I also added a little black to the skull.
 The 'Poe' are from a wooden alphabet set, they have been grubbed up with some Distress stains to match and added with pinflare glue.
The two pages are from my collection of Poe stories, I felt so bad ripping them out but soon got over it ;)
 They were first distress by dabbing distress inks onto my craft mat and spritzing with water, I used gather twigs, the pages were ran through the wet ink a few times and a little walnut stain re inker was dripped in places, whilst wet they were ironed dry, this gives a great vintage look to the pages.
They were stuck to the page and wrinkled, when dry I added some more Quni Gold as a wash and when that was dry added some distress inks to the wrinkles.
The little pen quill was made by using one of Tim Holtz pen nibs and a feather charm.
The main image is of course Edgar Alen Poe from The Octopode Factory. He has been coloured with Copic's and fussy cut and finished with two coats of clear embossing powder.

We would love to see you over at The Octopode Factory taking part, it would be great to see what literary talent inspires you.
Thanks as always for stopping by. xx


13 comments:

  1. This looks great , full of textures and love the sue of the skull stencil! Looks fab x hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME !!!

    Hugz
    IKE xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant. Love the colouring on the skull image. Very eerie looking. Poe is an excellent choice :) I've read his stories time and again and they still send a shiver through me, esp Pit & Pendulum. Only one way to end a comment on this post...Nevermore! Px

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful Mark, the background is amazing especially the skull.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! You achieve an aged look so well. I have to admit I would not be able to tear up my Poe works...I usually pick up old marked down books at the local library sale so that I don't feel so bad tearing up a book, lol. Wonderful work!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mark, I love your page, the Poe script in the background is perfect as a setting and I just love that skull. Great distressing on your page too, it has a slightly spooky look. Thanks for your recent good wishes, we are still enjoying our break - even in the sweltering heat! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark,
    Your back ground is terrific! Love all your stamping too! Love the pen nib w/ the feather what a perfect touch! Just wow Mark! I love everything about your journal page!
    Peace,
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great journal page, the skull background is brillant. Love Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  9. absolutely stunning creation, such a work of art, you should've designed stuff for the series 'the following' this would've been perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulously atmospheric, Mark - this is a real work of art. I love it all - especially that skull hovering there...
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE that quill. Whole this is classy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Guess what? I'm inspired (:o) Have a nice weekend!xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG, what a stunning page looooove the background, loooove the skull with the nib with feathers, just fabulous thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete