Thursday 18 October 2012

A Rusty Frame.

2nd post of the week for me this week.And this little picture frame has been a pain in the butt, I started last week for the rust challenge over at Simon says stamp and show but was just not happy with it and ran out of time.
 I find this whole crafting thing a very funny mistress, you have highs and lows, days where the mojo is just not working. That's how I felt last week. I had the idea of what I wanted to do with the frame and thought the rest would flow, It did not ;) I was left with a painted frame and nothing to go inside, also new the rust needed adornments but again mind went blank.
I started with another one of these little frames, about 6 inches square. I added some grunge board to the corner and a strip to one side to make it look as though there were some plates riveted over the top. the rivets are sticky pearls and the large ones are upholstery nails (the things used on the big leather chairs)  The little pic above shows it after a base coat of acrylic, It was then given an Andy Skinner rust technique (my fave finish) and sorry for anyone who stops by often as Its a finish I use a fair bit.I did actually paint and stamp inside the frame but really hated it so I cut some card to fit, painted it with fresco finish acrylic paints from paper artsy. I love their acrylic paints. first coat was an olive green type colour and the second was one of their translucent greens, pesto I think, it sort of gives some depth to the colour. I used my clown in a straight jacket stamp from viva las vegas stamps, link on the left side of my blog page. and the Carnival is from one of Andy Skinners stamp sets. The cracked finish was achieved by miss using the 2 step crackle glaze from deco art, I have found that if you do not seal the surface properly and you rush the dryig time of step one you dont get much of the way of cracking but get a nice glaze that has a little texture and a few cracks. To be honest I am not sure what one of my miss steps led to this but I quite like it, playing around lets you get cracks in some places and clear in others all in one coat.When it was dry I rubbed in some raw umber paint to make the cracks stand out.
 The finishing touches were added, the glass squares are from the bead shop in Brighton, the tap and number plate are from Tim Holtz, the tap was quickly painted with red acrylic and when it was touch dry rubbed with a kitchen towl/wet wipe to distress it back to the metal underneath. the number was coated with alcohol inks.
The little copper piping thing was made from some copper right angle joins bought in homebase, I glued them together and painted them with acrylic paints. Again another Andy Skinner technique from his Time Worn workshop.
All in all I think I like it now, not sure if the image fits the frame but I like how the colours work and am much happier with it this week than I was last week.

Thank you every one for stopping by and reading all my ramblings. And I have just seen I have Hit 100 followers,  Wow is all I can say, never thought I would enjoy looking at blogs and people would enjoy looking at mine this much. I really can not welcome and thank you all enough.  Mark xx

I would like to enter this into a few challenges,

Simon Says Stamp And Show have a 'Your Favourite' challenge, I just love industrial grunge and altering 3d objects.

The No Matter Which Challenge is Halloween or Halloween colours,  I goofed up with Mondays entry as I did not use a stamped image, Doh. Hopefully clowns in straight jackets are scary enough, I know I hate clowns ;)

Anything But A Card are having their 4th challenge, 'Autumn/Fall or Halloween colours'  This is a great new challenge blog and if you are like me, someone who hates making cards go check them out.

18 comments:

  1. That's fabulous, Mark!
    I know exactly what you mean, I'm convinced that happens to all of us now and then :-D Another one of your stunning frames, the riveting looks great. And I love all the other bits and pieces you added from different sources. All in all it's another gorgeous piece of art :-) Brilliant. Thanks for sharing the misstep, too.
    Hugs, Suzanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is very industrial grunge Mark and it is a fabulous creation. I think the green colour inside the frame works well, it draws the eye in which is perfect. Your rusting just gets better and better and I love the little blue ring coming out of the bottom bit - so unusual and again the colour is amazing. Just goes to show, if something doesn't work first time, keep trying - you did and it worked so well! Thanks for the heads up before, I am so thrilled! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you about the fickleness of Mojo lol. However, your frame has turned out brilliantly, even if you felt you struggled at times. Love the rich red brown of the frame and the subtle crackled effect. Works beautifully. I guess your job teaches you a thing or two about colour because you certainly have an eye for what works well together. The green really pops out at you. I'd definitely hang that in my craft room to inspire me! (& congrats on hitting your 100th follower!) Px

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been just like that all week Mark. Struggling to produce anything I like at all. I love all your Andy techniques and love the faux plating idea - might have to try that one! I like the stamped image in the frame but have to say that I can't stand clowns so forgive me for not waxing lyrically about it!! I still find them creepy and at my age that's not goint to change is it?! Great job Mark.
    Have a great weekend.
    Juliaxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all lose our mojo at times mark so you are not alone there and it can be to say the least a little frustrating. So glad you persevered with this piece as it turned out just great. It's always a pleasure to stop by your blog and see what youv'e been up to. By the way am loving the clown stamp!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally worth the pain... love your extra 'plates' riveted on, and the lurid green next to the rust makes both colours even more intense - great pairing! Terrifying clown, though...
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the outside ofvthe frame...youbhave totally rocked all the timeworn techniques, they are amazing..
    The inside colouris fab ...biti am PETRIFIED of clowns so forgive me I didn't look at the inside that close!!!! Another great make..trace x

    ReplyDelete
  8. If it gets the result you want, doesn't matter how you get there! Your frame looks fab. The time Worn experience has helped alot of us. Still have a few technique to get thru. Have a good weekend. Love francesca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mark, your frame is amazing. The colour inside is fabulous as is your scary clown.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've achieved such fantastic colours with this rusting Mark. Adding the contrasting blue really makes all the difference. Have a great weekend, hugs Buttons x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is awesome! I love it :) Thanks for joining us at Anything but a Card! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fab project, love the colours and the stamps you've used. Thanks so much for joining us at NMW challenges and good luck
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. very cool! love how you altered the frame!
    Thank you for joining us at Anything But A Card challenge!

    Hugs, Alica ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is fabulous! Love how your frame turned out. Great colours and details. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

    ReplyDelete
  15. If I had madet his I would be over the moon delighted. This is amazing. I LOVE it, how cool is the bit you got from b&q, ingenius. The rust technique is outstanding no wonder you use it often. I really want to do an Andy Skinner course. What ones did you do? x

    ReplyDelete
  16. your frame is amazing! so much detail!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome project. Thank you for sharing and joining in at NMWC. Hugs, Velma

    ReplyDelete